Big Island, Hawaii Day 7

Day 7 was our last full day on the Big Island. The next day we had a redeye flight back to the mainland and on to NYC. So we had to plan some fun activities to make the most of it.

We started our day with breakfast at Splashers Grill (another recommendation from Nicolette). It’s a popular bar-restaurant on the Island serving up big portions of tasty eats. We want to note here that it is very very difficult to find parking in this area. Just a warning if you decide to go.

We both ordered really big breakfasts to fill up for Snorkeling later that day. We knew we wouldn’t be able to eat lunch until much later on.

I ordered the Paddlers Breakfast Tacos, freshly grilled corn tortillas, loaded with cheesy scrambled eggs, sausage, country potatoes, and homemade fire roasted salsa. This was great! You literally cannot go wrong with all of those items wrapped up in a warm tortilla.

Tom had the Huevos Rancheros, corn tortillas topped with 2 eggs over medium, ranchero sauce, sour cream, house potatoes, and refried beans. This was also a win. It was so filling and tasty.

After breakfast, we decided to explore the area we were in. This was the most town like part of the island we had seen so far.

We walked along the water and checked out a couple of shops. We even stopped by the palace of Hulihe‘e. It was so beautiful and if we had more time we would have signed up for a tour.

A little while later we drove to the Sea Quest location in Kona. This is where we would be boarding a boat and heading out to Captain Cook’s Monument to snorkel.

We checked in and got settled. Our captain arrived and went over safety tips as well as what our adventure would entail. Before we knew it we were on the boat heading out onto the Pacific ocean.

The ride out to the monument was both quick and fun. She launched us off waves and told us about the local marine life.

Once we arrived at our location she parked the boat and handed out our equipment. She had the first time snorkelers practice with their masks while she went over a few more tips. Just like Nemo, we were told we could not go past the reef drop-off. This little reef helped to inspire Finding Nemo which as a super Disney fan I found so cool!

We all jumped into the warm water with a noodle in hand to help us float when we got tired. It was fun for me to float along in the calm ocean water and occasionally dip my head in to see the bright fish below. I did not like snorkeling much. I had a terribly hard time with the mask and breathing.

Tom, on the other hand, took to it like a fish to water. I knew he would love this excursion. Below is a very short video of our time in the water. I was using the GoPro with a wrist strap and well… you’ll see (insert grimace emoji here).

After a little while, I got tired and boarded the boat for snacks. The captain had set up fresh fruit and chips for us to enjoy. Tom got out of the water too, but he was enjoying himself so much that he went back in a little while later. I relaxed on the boat as it rocked back and forth slowly feeling sick.

On our ride back the captain went all out. She flew over waves and drove in and out of lava tubes showing us the beautiful landscape. I wish I had captured all of this on camera for you, but while everyone else was enjoying themselves I was panicking. I was gripping to the rail of the boat for dear life with my eyes closed praying I wouldn’t throw up all over everyone else. Soon the seasickness won the battle and I puked all over the side of the boat. I will forever be remembered as the girl who threw up on these people’s vacations.

Tom and I arrived back at the hotel a little while later where I bought myself a $7 bag of Gold Fish (yeah, that’s a lot of cheesy crackers) to help calm my stomach. After a little resting, I was feeling back to normal so we got ready for our last dinner on the Island.

We drove up the volcano to a picturesque restaurant called Merriman’s. It felt like we were in a super secret spot when we arrived. Just like earlier in the trip the temperature had dropped about 15 degrees on our way up.

Merriman’s serves up local seafood and farm to table fare with amazing care and flavor. Upon arrival, they served us free champagne in honor of our honeymoon alongside the bread service with perfectly paired unsalted butter and pink sea salt.

For our appetizer, we both ordered the Ceasar salad, Hirabara Farms Baby Romaine, Fried Green Tomato Croutons. Those fried green tomatoes with a real Ceasar dressing were incredible!

Moving on to our entrees I had the wok-charred ahi tuna with won bok cabbage slaw and wasabi soy sauce. Never in my life have I had a piece of tuna so tender. It literally melted in your mouth. Though delicate the flavors were perfect!

Tom ordered the Hawaiian butcher’s cut filet of beef. This local grass-fed beef came with jalapeño whipped potatoes, HL Farms cauliflower, and herb butter. Tom’s entree was just as amazing as mine. The beef could be cut with a knife and those potatoes were creamy with just the right amount of spice. It was rich and delicious.

We were both too full for dessert, but that did not stop the restaurant from treating us to flourless chocolate cake for our honeymoon. It was the perfect sweet finish to this wonderful meal.

It was bittersweet going to bed last night knowing it was our last night in that huge comfy bed. The next day we spent hours saying goodbye to Hawaii.


1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.